Saturday, May 2, 2009

NBC Nightly News and The Daily Show

Last night, I watched news coverage from both The Daily Show and NBC Nightly News. Both programs had differed in several ways. In my last post, I recorded the stories that were presented on the NBC Nightly News. I found the program to be informative and straight-forward. What I also liked about the program was the presentation of a public interest story. The Daily Show differs from many major news networks due to the fact that it tries to present humor to the stories that they present.

The format of The Daily Show is definitely comedic. The design of the set is definitely poking fun at sets seen on many major news networks. Stewart begins his show by poking fun at the paranoia which surrounds the Swine Flu Virus. The program then reflects on Obama's 100 Days, and how major news networks like FOX, MSNBC, and CNN had covered the president's 100 days in office. The program definitely makes light of how theoretical physicist scientists desire to recreate "The Big Bang". In regards to entertainment, Stewart invites on Hugh Jackman to discuss his latest movie " X-Men Origins: Wolverine." Stewart raps up the episode by providing his viewers with the daily "Moment of Zen." The moment of Zen pokes fun in how pigs are seen as a "Petri Dish of Germs."

Overall, I felt that both programs were effective in the manner in which they presented news to their viewers. I definitely how the programs differed due to the fact that it was nice to see news presented in two different ways. I felt that The Daily Show provided more humor and light-hearted jokes as opposed to NBC Nightly News. The NBC Nightly News just provided the facts and was very frank. Although I enjoyed how the coverage that was presented on the NBC Nightly News, I wasn't dissatisfied with The Daily Show either. I enjoyed how The Daily Show was entertaining and informative at the same time. Therefore, I felt that both programs were effective and informative.

May The Force Be With You,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment